Saturday, September 25, 2010

Psalm 147

First of all I want to praise GOD for a safe and fun trip to Nicaragua last week. As a non-resident of Costa Rica it is a requirement to leave the country every 90 days for at least 72 hours (although we have been hearing different stories about that stipulation) in order to renew your passport. The Gammages, the Boulters, Anton and I all needed to leave the country in some way around the same time and we decided to make the trip together to Nicaragua. It certainly was an adventure and I would not use the word "smooth" to describe those travel days crossing the Costa Rican/Nicaraguan border, BUT, after two days enjoying the coastal city of San Juan del Sur we are all back in country safely with 90 more days to legally reside in Costa.

For good or for bad, those of you that know me well know how much I love organization and plans. Especially when I am in charge of something I want things it to go exactly according to my plan. Although (I think, or I hope!) I have gotten better and become more flexible here in this very laid back culture, I have been so humbled the past couple of days by my display of inflexibility. After much anticipation my parents and their group from my home church of RCC arrived on Monday. I think, to be brutally honest, that I really wanted to impress not only my parents but also everyone else on the team who is supporting me and constantly keeping me in prayer while I am here. Luckily, GOD knows exactly how to show me that I am not in charge and that it is only when we rely on his strength, his gifts, his power that we see incredible fruit from our actions. Whatever talents GOD has given me, He has given me in order to bring Him glory, not to edify myself. I think this verse in Psalms captures what I have been learning the past couple of days when I become blatantly aware of my inability to translate perfectly, be an ESL teacher, or organize a medical clinic. "GOD delights not in the strength of the horse, nor is his pleasure in the legs of man, but the LORD delights in those who fear him, and in those who hope in his steadfast love." (Psalm 147:10-11) When I read that I am so convicted! I don't want to end up looking back on my life and see a list of things that I did on my own accord; I want to be a person who loves and fears the LORD with all my heart and can look back and see a list of things I never could have done apart from GOD. That is what I have been thinking lately. Please continue to pray specifically for me to surrender my plans to GOD so that I can allow Him to be in charge. He is way more equipped than I am and things always turn out better than I could ever imagine when the plans of GOD, not of man, are fulfilled. GOD BLESS YOU ALL,

Becca

4 comments:

  1. Bec

    You did an awesome job all week and we had a great trip. Thank you for all your hard work. I love you very much.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing... God is amazing in you!
    That is all,
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey becca! this is Becca Miller I dont know if you remember me from costa rica, but I would love an email sometime, so I can contact you.

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becca! Of course I remember you. How could I forget someone with such a cool name :). I would love to email you too. My email is becca@68ministries.com if you ever want to send me a message. Hope you are doing well. Please tell your family I said hello!

    ReplyDelete