Monday, July 5, 2010

Week 1

As I have just completed my first full week here in Alajuelita I cannot believe it has been seven days since I said goodbye to my friends, my church family, and my home. Part of me cannot believe it has only been a week because I already feel so at home here. The community where I am living, a safely guarded complex called La Antolina, houses most of the 6:8 staff from the US. Four other American families live right down the road (actually right down what seems like a mountain to a Florida girl) from me and have graciously opened their homes to whatever I have needed. They have let me borrow everything from pots and pans, to internet connection, to a washer and dryer. I am so excited to be a member of the 6:8 family. While that part of me feels like I have been here for a year already, another part of me cannot believe how quickly the week has flown. Time seems to fly by here at a different speed than in the States. Kids are content to just sit in your lap and color for an hour straight without thinking anything of it. With my days being scheduled less by the mandates of a clock time seems to float by; I wake up, go about my day, and the next thing I know it is already dinner time.
I want to give everyone a little glimpse of what an average day here looks like for me. We have daily staff meetings at 7:30 at the team house (which is about a ten minute walk from my house) and then I go out with the team to do a morning ministry project. We normally return to the team house to eat lunch house before going back out into the community again for the afternoon. After having a little free time before dinner, we eat and then worship together and hear a short message. Today is really the first day since my arrival that there has not been a team here, so I cannot really say what a typical off day for me will look like.
GOD has already been doing amazing things. I have gotten to reconnect with some of the kids that I love and visit some of the places that are closest to my heart. Despite what an amazing first week I have had, I am struggling to write this blog. I don’t know what stories to tell or how to explain them in a way to adequately glorify GOD. I just wanted to quickly let everyone know how I am doing here. GOD bless you, and thank you all for your prayers. More exciting GOD stories on the way.

Becca

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear more and SO excited to see you in a month!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome- can't wait to hear how this experience goes for you as you break in the new 68 internship. don't feel the pressure to do long blogs-DaveO, spencer and I were just talkinga bout that. in the age of Facebook and Twitter, bite size quotes and testimonies can be just as powerful and memorable.

    ReplyDelete