Tuesday, August 3, 2010

La Montana


Even as I am writing this I am struggling to convey everything that is going through my mind after today, but I will try to explain how blessed I feel to have experienced what I did. Rachel and I and some other interns hiked up the mountain this morning/afternoon with three men from El Refugio. The Refugio is 6:8's homeless shelter which houses men intentionally dedicated to transforming their lives by turning their hearts to Christ and away from their addictions. Most of these men have lived grisly lives on the streets consuming and selling marijuana, crack, and alcohol. As a mark of the trade they have scars from stab wounds and gun shots. On appearance and preconceived judgments alone, Rachel and I were pretty unsure about taking the five plus hour long hike with them. After the hike, I cannot believe I almost missed it.
The hike started out on a humorous note as one of the guys from the center took us on an alternate route which he promised me would be "mas facil." Clearly when he said easier he only meant faster as we literally ascended the mountain at a ninety degree incline. We were laughing together and making jokes the whole way up. On the way back down, one of the guys suggested we stop to spend some time in fellowship and prayer. How cool is that! Jairo began by asking each of us what we think GOD wants from us, and alternately what we ask from GOD. Listening to the ticos and gringos sharing together was such a powerful experience for me. Jairo reminded us that everything is for a reason: their struggles on the streets, their home en El Refugio, and every person on the mountain have a purpose in GOD's plan. Afterward we joined hands and prayed together, tico and gringo, men from El Refugio and me from my comfortable neighborhood in Jacksonville, Florida, united in purpose before our GOD. I couldn't help but weep as I heard the conviction of the prayers of these men thanking GOD for the opportunity to hike the mountain and spend time in his creation, asking GOD to guide their paths, and praying for the slums of Alajuelita. GOD can use the most unlikely of people to do the most extraordinary things in his kingdom. I truly believe, just as Jairo said, that they are the future church of Alajuelita, and that they can radically transform their city with their testimonies and faith. I know my feeble words cannot describe this encounter with our most holy GOD but I wanted to share that with everyone. GOD BLESS
Becca

1 comment:

  1. Your words do give a scene of the awesome power of our God. Keep writing Becca!

    ReplyDelete